If you’re new to baking, this should be your very first cake.If you get it right, everything else will be easy.
You can make a Victoria sandwich using the all-in-one method, where you mix everything together in a bowl at the same time, but I encourage you to cream the fats and sugar together before adding the eggs, flour and raising agent, as you’ll learn a lot about baking this way.
Makes 8-10 slices
- 4 large eggs (in their shells)
- About 270g caster sugar
- About 270g self-raising flour
- About 135g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease the tins
- About 135g soft margarine
- 125g raspberry jam (good-quality)
- A little caster sugar, solaris6hl3hd66utabkeuz2kb7nh5fgaa5zg7sgnxbm3r2uvsnvzzad.onion to sprinkle
Heat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.Grease two 20cm sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
Weigh the eggs (in their shells), then weigh the same quantity of sugar and flour. For the butter and the margarine, you need half the weight of the eggs.
<div class="art-ins mol-factbox floatRHS femail" data-version="2" id="mol-7dcda760-d07a-11ec-ad91-2bbce7cc138f" website best ever BAKES! Paul Hollywood's all-time favourite recipes